+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird problem, rough idle after filling up.

Apprentice Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184's Avatar

Default Weird problem, rough idle after filling up.

Frist of all my car is an 06 Si. Ive occasionally noticed when i fill up my tank from empty (not literally mind you, and always with premium) that when i start up immediately after, i get a pretty rough and slightly erratic idle. Once i drive for a bit it doesnt do it anymore, but i cant find anything online to suggest why its doing this. Any thoughts? maybe something wit the emissions system?
    Last edited by Sinister184; 03-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Loves NKOTB TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! TrackTUNED.net's Avatar

Bad gas cap lol? I know it sounds weird but some cars are finicky with the gas caps.
    TrackTUNED.net : Honda, Acura, Evo, and Subaru tuning services. Serving all over Florida!

Apprentice Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184 is a name known to all Sinister184's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrackTUNED.net View Post
    Bad gas cap lol? I know it sounds weird but some cars are finicky with the gas caps.
    not likely, the cap seals really tight.

Apprentice TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER is a name known to all TALLYPWNER's Avatar

Maybe one of the sensors is going bad or it has a lot of miles and needs a new belt or something, dunno.

BBR 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT's Avatar

When the pump stops pumping, do you stop filling? Or do you round up to the next dollar? If you round up, this could force fuel passed the orvr valve in your tank. The evap system could be getting fuel in it. This could cause rough idle during evap purge function.

ZoomFreakinZoom FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed is leaking awesomeness, call the amberlamps! FSUMazdaSpeed's Avatar

maybe something floating around near the screen or once you fill up needs to clean any small bits of air out of the line for that small period
    Last edited by FSUMazdaSpeed; 03-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.

2013 MazdaSpeed3 w/Tech: JBR RSB, 80 Duro RMM, Shift Knob, Stage II Intake, ATP Catless Downpipe, SSP: Autotech Internals
    SS Performance Group Mustang Dyno 301/320 Tuned by FLOWTUNED

Quote Originally Posted by TALLYPWNER View Post
    Maybe one of the sensors is going bad or it has a lot of miles and needs a new belt or something, dunno.
    only 50K on the car. dunno what sensor or belt would be effected by fueling. Every other time the idle is 100% as it should be. Initially i thought i could try replacing the fuel filter just as a shot in the dark, but apparently is one of those newfangled "lifetime" fuel filters thats actually built into the fuel pump. I thought i read something about condensation and filling up that made sense, but i dont remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2barT View Post
    When the pump stops pumping, do you stop filling? Or do you round up to the next dollar? If you round up, this could force fuel passed the orvr valve in your tank. The evap system could be getting fuel in it. This could cause rough idle during evap purge function.
    no rounding. once it clicks i stop fueling. that theory would make sense, but only if some pumps allow more fuel in the tank before it clicks. However, it happened to me today, and ive used that station many times in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by FSUHondaEJ8 View Post
    maybe something floating around near the screen or once you fill up needs to clean any small bits of air out of the line for that small period
    maybe.. sediment could be kicking up or something, but i always find it hard to believe theres that much crap in the gas tank.
    Last edited by ArtyG; 03-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Well, my car may be overly sensitive to filling up, or some pumps ive encountered are allowing too much fuel before cutting out, but this sounds exactly like whats going on...

"Q I have a 2005 Honda CR-V. Is it OK to fill up your gas tank right to the rim, or is it better to stop at the first click?

A It is not OK to "fuel pack," or overfill the fuel tank by continuing to click the automatic fuel nozzle over and over until you can't squeeze another drop of fuel into the vehicle. There's more than one reason the fuel nozzle has an automatic shutoff. It's not just to prevent fuel spillage from the nozzle if you leave the refueling unattended -- a bad idea in any situation -- but also to prevent motorists from overfilling the tank and defeating the evaporative emissions control system.

If you keep squeezing the handle after automatic shutoff, you'll force fuel into the vapor separator and charcoal canister, which collect and store fuel vapor as the fuel in the tank heats and cools. When you start the engine, this vapor is pulled into the intake manifold, mixed with the incoming air and delivered to the combustion chambers, where it is burned. The idea is to consume the vapor rather than allow it to escape into the atmosphere.

If liquid fuel is forced into the separator and charcoal canister, there is no storage space for fuel vapor from the tank. When you start the engine, the liquid fuel is drawn into the intake manifold, leading to an overly rich fuel-air mixture and a partially flooded condition at start-up. Typically, the engine will run poorly and roughly for a few moments after start-up until the purge valve closes and the engine "clears" the excess fuel."

BBR 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT is a name known to all 2barT's Avatar

What I said, jut not in a nut shell

Quote Originally Posted by 2barT View Post
    What I said, jut not in a nut shell
    yeah pretty much, its just odd cause im not topping off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister184 View Post

maybe.. sediment could be kicking up or something, but i always find it hard to believe theres that much crap in the gas tank.
    Might not be in YOUR gas tank. If the place you're filling up isn't on it's p's and q's about getting it's pump filters replaced God only knows what could be coming off or through the filter.

Apprentice hondarida5 is on a distinguished road hondarida5's Avatar

Try inspecting the actual fuel pump!
    JDM CD6

Ballin F Series 160WHP/152WTQ

+ Reply to Thread